Friday, November 23, 2012

The Lola Shuffle - The Black Friday Edition

image source


Moonglow by Rod Stewart - I love that he decided to perform American standards. Those clasic songs with his unique voice are a great combination. "Moonglow" has always been a favorite of mine since I was a little girl - there was a lot of big band music in my house growing up.  

Crazy by Patsy Cline - What can be said about this song and this rendition that hasn't already been said? Perfection. I mean it's a great song regrdles of who sings it Willy Nelson's lyrics are poetry, and his version is great. But Patsy  captures the wistful resignation that the lyrics talk about.

(Where Do I Begin) Love Story by Tony Bennett - Hmmm...I love Tony Bennett, and I really like the love Sotry theme. However, although Bennett's voice is as always wonderful, I prefer Andy Williams' version. Maybe it's because that's the one I heard first. But,come on! It's still Tony Bennett!

Still Crazy After All These Years by Paul Simon - Well, Lola decided to move up a decade or two. And what a great choice. Honestly, does Paul Simon have any *bad* songs? I mean - there may be some I like less than others, but still - his worst are still good.

Suavecito by Septeto Nacional de Ignacio Piñeiro (from he "Lost City" soundtrack) - Love, love, love this song! Written in 1925 by Cuban gem Ignacio Piñeiro, this is a classic in the Cuban "son" canon.

I'll Fly Away by Alison Kraus and Gilliam Welch  (from the "Brother Where Art Thou?" soundtrack) - Both of these women have beautiful voices, but when they sing together it's a little bit of magic. 

Just The Way You Are by Billy Joel - Doesn't everyone in love want to hear this from the one they love? And obviously it works best when it's a long time relationship.

Good Riddance (Time of You Life) by Green Day - definitely one of my favorite songs. There are so many apt moments or this song. I included the lyrics in the high school graduation cards for all of my friends' kids. I really do hope they have the time of their lives!

The Girl From Yesterday by The Eagles - Heartbreaking song! Kills me!
"The light's on in the window; she's waiting by the phone
Talking to a memory that's never coming home
She dreams of his returning 

and the things that he might say
But she'll always be the girl from yesterday
"

OMG - sob!  

Luck Be a Lady by Frank Sinatra - Another classic! And no one sings this like Sinatra...that vocal swagger - perfect.

It seems Lola is in a nostalgic mood, she didn't shuffle up *any* songs from this century! Haha! That's OK - nostalgia's good.

I hope your Black Friday was sane and that the rest o the weekend is fantastic. 


No comments:

Post a Comment