Thursday, November 8, 2012

What Would You Be?



Today's NaBloPoMo prompt is "If you could have any job (and instantly have the training and qualifications to do it), which job would you want?" 

This is easy for me - either a book editor for a good but not enormous publisher or a librarian.  I know neither of the jobs are just about reading good stuff - but I like the idea of working around literature.

Libraries, of course, have changed tremendously in the last few decades, gone are the visible compendiums of knowledge that were the fabulous card catalogs and the mysterious language of the Dewey Decimal System. But still libraries are cool. I like the computers and the digital systems! While I'm nostalgic for the days when I'd spend hours scrolling through microfiched articles and making 10 cent copies to then write term papers - let's face it, it's just better now. 

As to the editor job, I think that being a book editor for a smallish but respected publisher would protect me from having to give the nod to "market-friendly" crap. I'm not saying that stuff shouldn't be published, I'm just saying I'd not want to be responsible for it being published.

So why not go for it now? Why not change career paths? Well, I'm lucky - it's a good "problem" to have. I'm at a point in my career where I can't afford the pay cut that entry level in either off my dream jobs would present. And to be honest - I really do like my job!

No comments:

Post a Comment