Friday, November 9, 2012

The Lola Shuffle - The "It's Coldish Edition"

Lola's back!  You know Lola always has something fun for us. Let's see what she shuffles up for us.

Siboney - Desi Arnaz - Lola went out school to start us off! This instrumental interpretation of Lecuona's 1929 Cuban classic is fantastic. Desi was more than Lucy's flummoxed husband, and a much better musician and band leader than we saw on "I Love Lucy". This is a great intro to the real musical abilities of Desi Arnaz.

Relax Max - Dinah Washington - How smooth is this? Washington's voice is sexy, slinky and so so cool. She's telling Max to take it slow before ñaca-ñaca happens.

Rocky Mountain High - John Denver - Awwww...I love this song. I can almost smell the clean crisp Rocky Mountain air. I've been to the Rocky Mountains - and the song captures their gentle majesty perfectly.

How Deep Is Your Love - The Bee Gees - Another classic! Such a romantic song: "I know your eyes in the morning sun I feel you touch me in the pouring rain And the moment that you wander far from me I wanna feel you in my arms again", I mean - come on! Melty...

The Fool on the Hill - The Beatles - Not my favorite Beatles song, but a good one nonetheless. I have a great story associated with this song. A Cuban artist and movie director that was living in Cuba in the 80s made a documentary about Fidel Castro, of course with government sanction. The film ended with Fidel standing on a mountain looking over the Cuban countryside as the credits rolled. In post-production, the director added this song for the ending. Long stoory short - the film was never released, the director was arrested and put into a mental institution where he was subjected to multiple unnecessary sessions of "electro-shock treatments". Eventually he got out of Cuba, but sadly, severe damage had been done. He was a broken man - albeit a brilliant painter. Sorry to be a downer, but I always think of him whenever I hear this song.

Russians - Sting - Ha! See what Lola did there? Irony. Sting's plea for humanity despite the Cold War. It's a fantastic song, just around the time Glasnost was becoming a *thing*. It still applies actually if you replace Russians with Muslims. The more things change...

Penny Lover - Lionel Richie - Way to lighten things up Lola - good call. This song...meh. Not much to say. Sappy Lionel Richie 80s love song. It's perfectly fine.

Everything's Bigger - Zack King - YAY! My brother-in-law Kevin is the bass guitarist for this band! Hurry - go to their web site! They're based out of the Dallas-Fort Worth area and their music has a funky rock vibe. This song is a play on the famous "Everything's Bigger in Texas" expression. Yay Kevin!

Rockin' All Over the World - John Fogerty - This is a kick-ass song! I like this, the original version as well as Status Quo's even *rockinger* cover. This song begs for jeans, a beer and some dancing. Great weekend song Lola!

Roundabout - Yes - So yeah...Yes...not really my thing - I think this is here for Hubby. But if I *must* listen to Yes, I guess this'll do. It's perfectly fine, it's just not my genre. But it is a classic nonetheless. Way to mix it up Lola!

Lola started us off and ended with two very different classics, but classics nonetheless - and in between a little bit of everything. Good job!

Have a great weekend and stay safe. Please spare a thought or two for those still dealing with the aftereffects of Superstorm Sandy and if there's something you can do to help - do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment